Wednesday 3 March 2010

Formula 1 2010 - new and exciting things

I've been looking forward to the new Formula 1 season so keenly that I've not done any blogging about it. I haven't seen much point. Not only do amendments to the technical regulations made the limited pre-season testing almost impossible to read without the sophisticated computer technology only Formula 1 teams own, but also many sites far better than this one provide much more in-depth and regular coverage.

So, what's the point, I asked myself. However, at the same time I am still completely smitten with motor racing, still know a lot of things about it and still excited by it. Normally, I like sport as much for its capacity to produce history and statistics - data - as I do for the activity itself. Recently, though, I've come to realise that when it comes to cars racing one another, the whole thing delights me.

Even though I know it is rubbish, ecologically ruinous and financially suspect. Even though it is usually boring. I am infected by the whole thing. And where there is infection, sometimes there's only one way for the accumulations of matter to go and that's outwards. Which brings me back to the purpose of this blog.

I originally envisioned +1 Lap as an in-depth and topical site. This is never going to work, for reasons I've already discussed. Instead, I plan to use this as a dumping site for stuff which would otherwise completely overwhelm my brain's capacity to perform any other function. It's likely to be mostly opinion and statistics. Hopefully, if you are as diseased by the whole spectacle of motor racing as I am, you'll find it interesting. However, I'll equally understand if nobody wants to read any of it. That's not really what it's for.

So, no more pandering to journalistic balance. I'm just going to let the whole thing have it as I see it, in the order it wells up within me. My plans for the forseeable future - what will probably prove to be an in-depth but spectacularly disordered 2010 Formula 1 season preview, starting this week with technical and regulation changes and a look at the new teams. Next week, I'll turn my attention to the drivers, which is all anyone actually cares about.

No comments:

Post a Comment